Gnocchi are soft dough dumplings that can be made from flour, cornmeal, potatoes or similar ingredients. Gnocchi is usually rolled out and cut into small pieces. Most gnocchi has the appearance of little lumps of dough. It can usually be found on the pasta aisle in supermarkets. Gnocchi can also be refrigerated or frozen. Olive Garden’s chicken gnocchi soup is a popular menu item. This copycat recipe will make it possible to enjoy chicken gnocchi soup without leaving home.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3/4 cup finely diced celery
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup shredded or diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme OR 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (use rotisserie chicken to save time)
- 1 quart of chicken broth OR stock (reduce the amount for a thicker soup)
- 1 quart of half-and-half
- 1 (16-ounce) package ready-to-use gnocchi (use 2 packages for heartier soup)
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of black or white pepper (or to taste)
- Melt the butter into the olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook the onion, celery, and garlic, stirring until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the carrots and spinach.
- Allow the vegetables to cook until the carrots are slightly tender and the spinach is wilted.
- Add the thyme, parsley, garlic powder, and (optional) nutmeg.
- Immediately add the diced chicken and chicken broth (or stock).
- Stir in the half-and-half.
- Add the gnocchi, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until the gnocchi floats and the soup thickens.
This recipe can be made with white or dark meat chicken. Dark meat is less dry and more flavorful. White meat has less fat. Additional herbs and/or spices can be added as desired to enhance the flavor of the soup. Additional salt or pepper can be added to the individual servings as desired.
Other Copycat Olive Garden Soup Recipes: