Strawberries are in season in several parts of the world. There are limitless ways to eat this antioxidant-packed superfruit. Strawberry shortcake is one of the most popular strawberry desserts. One doesn’t have to be a pastry chef to enjoy the sweet treat. A semi-homemade strawberry shortcake can be made without even turning on an oven.
This recipe is for an individual serving. Multiply the listed ingredients by the number of servings desired to make more than one serving.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (divided in half)
- 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 to 2 ounces soften strawberry flavored cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (cleaned and thinly sliced) OR thawed frozen strawberries
- 1 shortcake dessert shell OR a slice of pound cake
- Mix half of the powdered sugar with the vanilla and cream cheese in a bowl until the ingredients are well-blended.
- In a different bowl, mix the other half of the powdered sugar with the strawberries until the berries are well-coated with sugar.
- Plate the shortcake dessert shell.
- Top the plated shortcake dessert shell with the sugared strawberries.
- Spoon a desired amount of the sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese mixture over the strawberries and shortcake dessert shell.
For a more traditional strawberry shortcake dessert use heavy cream instead of cream cheese in this recipe. When making the traditional recipe blend the strawberries directly into the powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream mixture. For an even healthier version of this dessert substitute strawberry yogurt for the cream cheese. A pre-baked biscuit can be substituted for the dessert shell if preferred.