Meat and potatoes is comfort food. Crock pots make them easy to prepare. This satisfying, savory beef roast can be cooked in a crock pot while you are away from home. When you return, dinner will be ready!
- 3 lb beef roast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 3 to 4 springs of fresh thyme
- 4 springs of fresh parsley
- 2 stalks of celery with tops (diced or chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1/4 cup of beef stock
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 ounces of carrots (chopped)
- Rinse the roast to remove excess debris.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels.
- Rub the roast on both sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika on both sides of the roast.
- Place the roast in a crock pot.
- Add the onion, garlic cloves, thyme, parsley, celery, bay leaves, sugar, and red wine vinegar to the crock pot.
- Mix the corn starch and cold beef stock in a cup or bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the other ingredients.
- Add the potatoes and carrots.
- Cook the roast and vegetables on high for 6 to 8 hours (to the desired doneness).
The roast and vegetables can be a complete meal. Or, for those not on a low carbohydrate diet, the roast and vegetables can be served over rice. It can be paired with a side salad or another vegetable of choice.