Bunnies are popular spring time symbols. Making an easy bunny rabbit cake is a fun project to do with kids. Follow these simple instructions.
- A box of cake mix (and the ingredients specified on the box)
- A can of frosting
- Candies for decorating (jelly beans, M&Ms, gumdrops, licorice strings, etc.)
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- Two 8″ or two 9″ round baking pans
- A long cake platter or cookie sheet
- Bake the cake in the two baking pans according to the directions on the box.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- One cake should be left in its original shape; it will be the bunny’s face.
- The other cake should be cut to form ears and a bow-tie.
- Assemble the cake on the cake platter or cookie sheet.
- Frost the entire cake including the sides.
- Use candies to make the bunny’s face.
- Cover the cake with coconut flakes to give the appearance of fur.
If making a female bunny is preferred, the bow-tie can be placed at the top of the bunny’s head to form a hair-bow. There are countless variations of this simple bunny cake. The flavor of the cake and frosting can vary according to taste. The cake can be made with or without coconut flakes. The candies used to decorate the cake can be adjusted to fit the cake flavor. M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces may work better with chocolate cake. Any small and edible decoration can be used to form the bunny’s face.