Kale has become one of the most popular leafy greens. Its popularity is due to its vitamin and mineral content. It is rich in vitamins A, C, and K. Folate, a B vitamin that is beneficial for brain development, is in Kale. Lutein and zeaxanthin are also found in the leafy green. Kale is low in calories – only 33 calories per one cup serving. This Zuppa Toscana recipe is one of the numerous way to enjoy the greens.
- 1 pound of ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 4 large OR 6 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- 8 to 12 ounces of kale (cleaned, stemmed, and chopped)
- 32 ounces of chicken broth OR chicken stock
- 1 cup of heavy cream OR half and half
- cooked, crumbled bacon slices OR real bacon bits [to be used for topping]
- grated parmesan cheese [to be used for topping]
- Cook the sausage in a large pot until completely done.
- Drain any excess fat from the cooked sausage.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage; cook until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add the spices to the sausage, onions, and garlic.
- Add the potatoes; stir them into the sausage, onions, garlic, and spices for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the kale to the previously added ingredients; cook it until it reduces down slightly.
- Add the chicken broth (or stock); allow the soup to simmer until the potatoes are tender and the kale is done to the desired texture.
- Stir in the heavy cream (or half and half).
- Allow the soup to come to a simmer again.
- Serve the soup topped with bacon pieces, parmesan cheese, or both.
Some recipes for Zuppa Toscana call for hot or spicy Italian sausage. Others suggest using Italian sausage links with the casing removed. Either is a reasonable option. For those who like more spice, red pepper flakes can be added to the entire recipe or to individual servings.
Other Copycat Olive Garden Soup Recipes: